Thursday, October 28, 2010

Be Not Afraid





I read today that the words, "be not afraid"  appear in scriptures 366 times.  That is one for each day of the year including leap years.  Apparently, I am not the only one who needs reminding.  But, I do need reminding.....often.  I don't know why but I seem to be unable to let go without fear.  I can let go, I just feel so afraid.  I worry and fret about all of the things that could happen.  I imagine all sorts of bad things.  I am afraid to get my hopes up.  Today, I tried very hard to move beyond these feelings of fear.  So, I reached for some of my favorite books to look for answers.  The first book I looked at began with this scripture:  Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4: 6-7.

I guess that about says it all ....stay in prayer and keep your heart and mind on Christ.  I just keep looking down.  I wonder why it is so hard to keep looking up?  There is a saying that courage is fear that has said it's prayers.  I love that .  Prayer reminds us of God's presence and reminds us to rely on His strength and not our own.  St. John Vianney said that God commands you to pray, but forbids you to worry.  I am lacking in faith.  I keep listening to worries and statistics instead of possibilities and hopes. 

My son is looking for a job.  He is starting from the bottom.  But, he hasn't given up....thanks be to God.  He has a long way to go but today, he is doing okay.  I must shift the way I look at things.  I've really got to start being thankful for what I have.  I've got to really start looking at possibilities...through God.  I've got to earnestly start to pray with blinders on.  I've got to make a priority of living my life with all of this going on.  St. Jerome said that facing our fears and doing our duty in spite of them is an important way of taking up our cross; thus, we can reassure ourselves that in our efforts to be brave, we are actually serving Christ.

I have the power to make this whatever this is either produce something good and positive or negative and fearful.  I have the power to choose.  So, this is my new goal.  It's not all about me.  This affects my whole family.  I must let the light of Christ shine through even this hardship.  So, today that is my goal and my prayer.  I pray for paradigm shift.  I pray for strength.  I pray for Christ to help me to quiet the fears and nagging negative thoughts.  I pray for my son and always for Henry.  In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen.

PS  Mother Teresa was once asked for her business card.  She thought and thought and this is what she came up with.  Perhaps this will help me and you in our journeys...

The fruit of silence is prayer
The fruit of prayer is Faith
The fruit of faith is Love
The fruit of love is Service
The fruit of service is Peace 

No comments: