I used to think of the new year as a fresh start, which really never brought what I had imagined. Addiction and AlAnon have taught me that each day is a fresh new start. Each slip isn't a failure but something to be learned from and be built upon. Perfection is a myth. If life is going smoothly, I'm probably not learning a lot. Hurdles will always be there. These are all things that took me 47 years to learn and accept.
This last year was one of sobriety(for the most part) for my son. It wasn't hearts and butterflies. But, it was better. I learned a lot. So I'd like to share with you the top ten important lessons that 2011 taught me.
10. Look beyond. In other words look deeper than the surface. You usually find something beautiful.
9. Judging only puts up walls.
8. My way is not the only way.
7. I am thankful to NOT be in control.
6. I need to look beyond the anger...
5. Taking care of myself is a gift to my family.
4. Beauty really is in the simple and small things.
3. I've missed a lot worrying about the future.
2. Prayer is the best weapon I have.
1. As the Beatles said, "All you need is love". Unconditional love that is. Unconditional love, not enabling, heals unlike any drug, therapy, or balm.