Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stark Raving MAD!!!!





Whatever street you live on, you can count on every third house being affected by addiction.  To me, that is an astounding figure.  I must admit, I really never seriously paid adequate attention to all of the education that is out there on drug abuse, until now.  Now my radar is on high frequency. 

Do you remember the war on drugs?  I sort of do.  I just don't quite know what that war involved.  I do know that in the border towns of Mexico that the police are even afraid of the drug lords.  I know that these are huge battles that need more attention paid to them.  And, even as mad as I am over this disease, I'm not stupid enough to think that I could take them on.  But, there are other battles that I can wage. 

Right here in my hometown, I have been in three convenience stores that sell these pipes that I think are called bongs.  To me, I do not know why these wouldn't be considered paraphernalia.  I have never in all of my 46 years, seen anyone ever use one with tobacco products.  The one time I saw someone looking at them in the store it was four high school/college aged boys and I highly doubt that they were thinking of using a fine tobacco product in them.  In fact, one of those boys wore sunglasses inside and the other had nothing but hundred dollar bills in his wallet as he was paying.

I have learned that these pipes are only considered paraphernalia if they are being sold near marijuana.  When we are carded when we buy white out, have to show our licenses for cold and flu products, why shouldn't we have some restriction on buying a bong for heaven's sake?  Today, I went into the convenience store and took pictures of the bongs.  The owner came out, grabbed my arm, tried to get me to come back in the store and made me delete the pictures.  He was a big angry man.....bullying a middle aged woman.  What does that say to you?  To me, it says he knows it's wrong and doesn't care.  But, I care.  I am refusing to spend money in a store that sells paraphernalia.  I am going to draw as much attention to those that do as is legally allowed. 

There is a great problem out there.  The drug culture is much bigger than any of us probably realize.  I think it is a very violent one.  I think we all need to fight it in one way or another to protect each others kids.  I am going to pray for the wisdom to help in the way that our Lord wants me to.  For now, I need to check my anger at the door.  I need to be sure that I am trying to help the innocents and spiritually poor and not strike back because of my loss. 

It's hard to keep your motivations pure.  I will keep praying.  I will keep waiting.  I will try to bring more attention to this problem.  It is so important.  Today, I pray for calm.  I pray for guidance.  I pray for my son to want help.  I pray for God to break through so that he can want help.  And, I pray for Henry.  In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.


No comments: