Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Firme......

Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
I just got back from a little trip with a girlfriend and she brought this book which she'd just read and said that I had to read it.  It is one of the best.....better than best, books that I've ever read.  It's "firme".

Father Greg Boyle, a Jesuit priest, wrote this book about his mission to rehabilitate ex gang members by giving them a job and loving them unconditionally.

Father Boyle or "G" as they call him, shares stories of hope where few others have ever thought that hope was available.  He gives a powerful illustration of unconditional love to the marginalized.

To the bulk of society, our sons and daughters are the marginalized.  Sometimes, it's hard to know how to love in the midst of fear and anger.  It's hard to remember to love when our loved ones won't do what we want them to.  We somehow think that loving someone when they do the things we don't approve of, it's like rewarding bad behavior.  Sometimes we think that loving someone makes us lose a boundary. 

We all have to decide how to approach our situations but this book has some really good ideas on how to keep that relationship and foster love.  I loved it.

Today, I pray for each of you in your journey, right where you are, and I hope that you will find the motivation to help you with your loved ones.

2 comments:

Annette said...

I have to get this. This has been my constant dilemma for the past 10 years. Tough love OR unconditional love and compassion? I do believe we can love unconditionally and compassionately without enabling poor behavior. Thanks for sharing this...seriously. You have no idea how timely this is for me.

Hattie Heaton said...

Annette,
It was the same for me. God provides what we need when we need it.