Thursday, June 7, 2012

High on Summertime...


I love summertime.  I love getting hot and sweaty and taking a cool shower and then sitting down to read.  I love swimming and taking long walks.  I love the fresh fruits and vegetables.  I love a summer storm.  I love, love, love a porch swing and pray that I will have one in the next house.  I love that somehow I tend to work around the afternoon so that I have that time to read or pray or just think.  It brings me such peace.

Last night my son wanted to come home to pick up some of his things.  So, we allowed him to have dinner, shower, pick up some more of his clothing and then go home. 

It was ok.  It felt right for him to go home....to his own home.  And, when he came into the kitchen to catch me alone to tell me that he was 10 days sober, I was shocked that I didn't need to know.  I was shocked that I didn't instantly have a mind racing with ideas for how he might maintain this new found sobriety.
God's grace.......

Thanks be to good for His marvelous grace, my son's growth, this lovely weather and the progress my family both individually and collectively have made.  I pray for continued direction in what He would have me to do so that I might do the work of His service.  I pray for healing in all of our loved ones and I say a prayer, as always for you, Henry.

3 comments:

beachteacher said...

So glad to hear this,..for both you and your son. As VERY tough as their positive growth is,...ours too is very tough. We are, after all, mothers,...who carried them & grew them inside of us. It's very tough to back up from tending to that/who you grew within you,....having tended to each & every one of their tiniest needs,...feeding them all of those times per day,...nurturing their literal growth. To stand apart while they work on their own self destruction is SO against our nature as mothers. Despite them being "grown" all these years later,...we still are programmed to be against any harm to them,...even via their own actions.
I will continue to pray that your son's growth keep on in a positive direction. You certainly can be proud of your own growth. May God bless you both.

Hattie Heaton said...

Thank you so much...it is God's grace I was not handling it well at all in the beginning. I pray for your son as well. And, for you to find those things that make you "high" as well.

Anonymous said...

I love summertime too, not just because I am off of school either! (: I love the late afternoon summer storms (except when they ruin my daily ride!), and I love how it cools down at night so it's warm but still comfortable enough to sit on the porch with your family and talk. Summer is absolutely amazing for so many reasons.

I'm glad your son has been sober the past 10 days, it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully he will stay on that path!

I hope you are doing well; god bless.