Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Winding Road


ups-downs.jpg





When I talk to the girls at the jail, I often make two drawings.  One is a straight line that starts at the bottom of the page  and moves to the top of the page.  The second drawing is of a line starting at the bottom making it's journey two steps forward and one step back.  The second drawing is what experts say progress in recovery usually looks like.

My son takes the second path.  A slip occurred recently.  Slips always cause fear to rear it's ugly head.  It is like feeling a familiar pain, knowing it's sting before you feel it's full affect.  But, I am learning that this downward dip doesn't go all the way back to the bottom.  Pleasantly, I was surprised by the lessons learned by the slip.

Progress has been made.  Big progress.  I am not sure that we would have come this far this fast without this slip.  I could not have imagined this in my way of fixing things.  Good thing I am learning that I have no qualifications in the fixing business.

Today I am thankful that I have learned to trust and let go and I say a prayer for Henry.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Letting those girls know one (or more) mess ups, does not mean they are losers is a good message. Many of them will take steps backward till they get the hang of forward only motion. I can picture you being very good with that group.

As for your son...whew...forward motion again!