Thursday, September 22, 2011

Finding Me Day 3 Learning From Lucy

"Love has to be put in action and that action is service."  Mother Teresa

In The Road Less Traveled Scott Peck defines love as action, as the willingness to extend oneself in order to nurture another person's spiritual and psychological growth or one's own.  It so happens that this is also the precise meaning of giving attention to another person or to oneself.  The origin of the word attend is the Latin tendere, "to stretch".  Attend means to extend, to stretch toward. 

The best teacher of unconditional love that I know,  is a member of my family.  Her name is Lucy and she "lights up" every time I see her.  She brings such joy to our home.  Today I will try to remember to be more like Lucy. 

Today I am thankful for Lucy and her amazing ability to show love no matter what.  I am thankful for the perspective and awareness of my need to put that kind of love into service.  I pray that our addicted loved ones will also start to enjoy that kind of love and I say a prayer for the soul of Henry.

2 comments:

beachteacher said...

Oh, so true, the unconditional love our dogs give us. We just lost our sweet dog & my husband & I & the kids all said that we should strive to be more like her.

Have Myelin? said...

I have a daschie!!! =) Her name is Gini Ginobili, named after the Spurs player Manu. My daughter named her...

She sleeps with me and Alex under the covers.