Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Dog Bed Lady?



I've been trying to figure out who I really am minus being the Doc's wife, the kids mom, the office manager, the laundry girl, chef ( and I use that term loosely), the maid, lawn care service, stall mucker, dog feeder, etc.  One of the things I started doing was using my maiden name as my middle nameThis helps to remind me of who I was before.  Not that I knew myself all that well then but I only had to care for myself at that time. 

I've had a lot of fun writing.  I have even published a couple of pieces in little known magazines that you've probably never heard of.  I will proudly say that my first published piece was in a magazine called, "Miniature Donkey Talk."  It was titled, Life Lessons I Learned From an Ass.  I made a whopping $50.00.  It was a proud moment.  : )  Seriously, I have really enjoyed doing it and hope to have more time to devote to it in the future.

Then I saw a dog crate online, made from old ugly furniture, repurposed and given a little TLC and it ended up looking really neat.  So, I started making dog beds.  It has been so much fun.  I get to dig through flea markets, trash laid on the side of the road, Goodwill and the like.  I shop at fabric stores and craft stores, paint and hardware stores.  I've met a great group of little old men, semi retired who are willing to help me with my unusual projects. 

I've decided that dogs are like grandchildren.  People get totally silly and lose all common sense when it comes to their pets.  My first two beds were donations.  My third was a person at the auction who wanted me to make one for his wife for Christmas.  I was so flattered that I went a little wild. 

When I make calls to my carpenters, seamstress or customer I tend to tell them my name and after an awkward pause I say, "you know the dog bed lady" where I get a "Oh okay".  I guess it could be worse.  My daughter says it's better than being the cat lady. 

The neat thing about this is that it has taken me out of my usual paths.  It has introduced me to this whole new group of interesting characters.  It never fails that when someone sees my beds they instantly start giving me ideas of what a really neat one would be like.  Dogs just make everyone happy.  I think it's a great gig to work with them, if you can get it. 

Today I am thankful for this fun new adventure.  I am thankful for God's sense of humor....it keeps me guessing.  I am thankful that finding myself in this journey has given my son a sense that I don't have to sit and worry over him anymore.  I pray for all our sons and daughters and I pray for the soul of Henry, my grandfather.

5 comments:

Sting said...

It is easy to provide one now due to the availability of cheap dog beds

Annette said...

You can open an Etsy store for dog beds. I want pictures!! What a fun thing to do.

Lou said...

What fun to find out more about each other. I bet you do meet interesting characters! Reminds me of a song "learn from the rich, learn from the poor, learn from everyone..that's what life is for"

johni said...

i read and really impressed from your topic ,sc..,d, Qm. Its related to Latest News,sncskfnzcnz.besln ;s

Drjigg said...

covers for dog beds to bark when they feel threatened or hear certain sounds, whether at home or outdoors. When you use a box with filler bed, cap, and on which side you reduce the noise you hear, and thus, reduce stress.